The newest League of Legends patch is hitting Summoner's Rift. Riot Games has made some much-needed changes to champions that include buffs, nerfs, and adjustments.
Let us take a look at all of the updates that will be hitting the Rift soon. Hopefully, these changes will balance out the game so the meta stays as fair as possible so that players can enjoy the game without feeling like they're fighting against overpowered champions.
We will be looking at all of the major changes in the 13.23 Patch so stick around and let's get started!
Patch 13.23 Riot ID Change
A welcome change to the new Riot ID system.
On November 20, 2023, we phased out the usage of “Summoner Names” and moved all players exclusively to Riot IDs to create a more unified experience across all our games. Read more about this change here.
We’ve made updates to the transition from Summoner Names to Riot IDs. You’ll now be able to change your name for free every 90 days. This change went into place on November 20, and everyone has been granted a free name change, if they’d like to use it. You can also read more about it here.
It looks like Riot Games is looking into adjusting the upcoming Riot ID Change so that players do not feel punished by this new system.
Patch 13.23 Champion Changes
Azir's lack of interaction with on-hit items has been a source of confusion and disappointment for players newer to this champion. This was recently highlighted again when Arena released, as there were several Augments that could be really cool for Azir but actually didn't work and baited players into taking them.
After exploring allowing his soldiers to proc on-hit items we believe this a nice win for the Emperor of the Sands that will enhance his fantasy on both Summoner’s Rift and Arena! As this will increase his item scaling potential, we did need to pair it with some proactive nerfs so that he doesn’t go too crazy with this newfound power.
- Magic Damage: 2-92 (levels 10-18) (+50/67/84/101/118) (+60% AP) ⇒ 2-77 (levels 10-18) (+50/65/80/95/110) (+55% AP)
- Magic Damage: W Attacks on the primary target (aka whichever target you clicked on) now trigger on-hit effects at 50% damage value (100% in Arena). This includes on-attack effects such as Rageblade's Phantom Hit, Runaan's Hurricane, and Kraken Slayer.
Summary: W damage decreased, soldiers now apply on-hit effects on their primary target.
Despite the nerfs, Briar keeps performing better patch over patch as players continue to learn and master her. So we're back to tap her power down in a way that will leave her less oppressive than before.
With these changes we're continuing our attempt to close the gap between lethality and fighter builds. Lower health means she'll have to be more reliant on bonus health from other sources, and lower burst damage decreases lethality's relative value in favor of longer fighter patterns
Snack Attack (W)
- Bonus Physical Damage: 5/20/35/50/65 (+ 5% total AD) (+ 10% (+3.5% per 100 bonus AD) of the target's missing health) ⇒ 5/20/35/50/65 (+ 5% total AD) (+ 9% (+2.5% per 100 bonus AD) of the target's missing health)
- Base Health: 610 ⇒ 590
Summary: Base health decreased. W Snack Attack damage decreased.
Whirling Death (R)
- QoL Adjustment: Draven R now returns to his body after striking a champion while he's dead.
Summary: R quality of life change.
Though there's some room for players to optimize Janna further (notably switching back to Aery now that Howling Gale spam is weaker), she has wound up in a weaker spot than before 13.22's kit update.
We're giving her back some power to make sure she feels good to play at all points in the game. One notable factor is that she's performing much worse in the early game than she used to, so we're attempting to specifically help her early power with these changes
- Bonus Movement Speed Scaling: 20/25/30/35% ⇒ 30%
- Cooldown: 9/8.5/8/7.5/7 seconds ⇒ 8/7.5/7/6.5/6 seconds
- Targeting: 650 range, center to center ⇒ 550 range, edge to edge (Note: this should make W better against large targets while being neutral against smaller targets.)
- Cooldown: 150/135/120 seconds ⇒ 130/115/100 seconds
Summary: Passive bonus movement speed adjusted. W cooldown decreased, targeting adjusted. R cooldown decreased.
Jarvan IV has been very prominent in solo queue with solid pick, ban, and win rates. He currently accesses a large amount of haste through his build, which is leading to oppressive Q-E uptime.
To reduce this particular strength, we’re increasing the cooldown on his Q which should still be accessible once you’ve built some Ability Haste, but will not be quite as oppressive as it is now.
Dragon Strike (Q)
- Cooldown: 10/9/8/7/6 seconds ⇒ 10/9.5/9/8.5/8 seconds
Summary: Q cooldown increased.
K'Sante's kit update back in 13.20 has moved him in the direction that we want with more room for opponents to counterplay. However, we've still been trying to land his tuning to ensure he has a proper spread of strong and weak matchups. The goals with this patch are to ensure that K'Sante has real difficulty in bad matchups.
A weaker shield, costlier Q, and especially reduced damage at his level 6 power spike should ensure strong 1v1 laners can excel against him. He's still meant to be a strongly-scaling, sometimes-warden, sometimes-skirmisher and we'll continue to re-tune him as necessary to ensure he's a high-skill champion worth mastering, without easily dominating his opposition.
Ntofo Strikes (Q)
- Mana Cost: 15 Mana ⇒ 28/26/24/22/20 Mana
- Damage: 30/60/90/120/150 (+40% AD) (+30% bonus armor) (+30% bonus magic resistance) ⇒ 30/55/80/105/130 (+40% AD) (+30% bonus armor) (+30% bonus magic resistance)
Path Maker (W)
- Bugfix: Fixed a bug that allowed K'Sante to launch Path Maker's dash early. Now if Path Maker's channel is ended prematurely, the channel will simply end without a dash.
- Shield: 45/65/85/105/125 (+15% bonus health) ⇒ 50/90/130/170/210 (+10% bonus health)
All Out (R)
- Passive Bonus Damage: 45/60/75% (levels 6/11/16) ⇒ 30-78% (levels 6-18, scaling linearly)
- Bonus Attack Damage: 15/30/45 (+25% bonus armor) (+25% bonus magic resistance) ⇒ 10/25/40 (+25% bonus armor) (+25% bonus magic resistance)
Summary: Q mana cost increased, base damage decreased. W bugfix. E shield decreased. R passive bonus attack damage adjusted, bonus on cast decreased.
Naafiri was created with the goal of being a relatively easy-to-play assassin that doesn’t have a lot of pressure to end games quickly as she was specifically geared toward average-skill games. She's definitely succeeding at being one of the more straightforward assassins with a good late game to boot.
However, she's just winning too many games right now, so we're taking aim at a nerf. In an effort to retain as much agency over the game as possible, we're preserving her gold scaling and instead taking down her base damage to ensure that she must perform well to continue securing takedowns.
We Are More (Passive)
- Packmate Attack Damage: 6-29.8 (based on level) (+4.5% bonus AD) ⇒ 5-25 (based on level) (+4.5% bonus AD)
- Flurry Damage: 65/100/135/170/205 (+ 80% bonus AD) ⇒ 60/90/120/150/180 (+ 80% bonus AD)
- Maximum Eviscerate Damage: 100/150/200/250/300 (+ 130% bonus AD) ⇒ 95/140/185/230/275 (+ 130% bonus AD)
Summary: Passive packmate damage decreased. E base damage decreased.
The anti-snowballing update of 13.20 hurt Riven a bit as she's often reliant on snowballing an early lead. While she's not strictly weak in the hands of her most practiced players, we'd like to give her a small boost in power to make that dedication pay off a little harder.
Broken Wings (Q)
- Damage: 15/35/55/75/95 (+45/50/55/60/65% AD) ⇒ 15/35/55/75/95 (+50/55/60/65/70% AD)
Blade of the Exile (R)
- Bonus Attack Damage: 20% ⇒ 25%
Summary: Q AD scaling increased. R AD scaling increased.
Trundle hasn’t been performing well as a top laner, which means he needs a bit of help. We’re looking to decrease his Q mana cost, as he relies on this ability to trade and clear waves which should help out Trundle top.
We’re also buffing his AD growth as this should increase his scaling and Trinity Force synergy.
- Mana Cost: 30 ⇒ 20
- Attack Damage Growth: 3 ⇒ 4
Summary: AD growth increased. Q mana cost decreased.
Vel'Koz is currently fairly weak as both a support and mid laner and could use a little more power. In this patch we’ll be buffing his passive damage, as there's a reasonable amount of interesting gameplay in triggering it and to make this proc more rewarding for Vel'Koz players.
While this will also increase his power during R, he only procs his passive once per cast, which creates more of a reward for the risk of immobilizing Vel’Koz.
Organic Deconstruction (Passive)
- Third Stack Damage: 33-169 (based on level) (+50% AP) ⇒ 35-180 (based on level) (+60% AP)
Summary: Passive damage increased.
Our armor nerf from last patch ended up not being as meaningful as we had hoped due to how far back Ziggs can play, so we need to nerf him again as he's performing quite well in solo queue.
Our main goal is to reduce how oppressive his early game is by nerfing the base damage on his Q since it now has a more reliable hitbox. We’re also including a nerf to his W uptime, as this is a strong engage/disengage tool that can also be used for waveclear since it has a relatively low cost.
Bouncing Bomb (Q)
- Magic Damage: 95/145/195/245/295 (+65% AP) ⇒ 85/135/185/235/285 (+65% AP)
Satchel Charge (W)
- Cooldown: 20/18/16/14/12 seconds ⇒ 24/21/18/15/12 seconds
- Mana Cost: 65 ⇒ 80
- Base Attack Damage: 54 ⇒ 55
Summary: Base AD increased. Q damage decreased. W cooldown increased early, mana cost increased.
Patch 13.23 Turret Gold Changes
One of the biggest changes for this patch as the gold adjustments will change how top laners approach split pushing, with Hullbreaker becoming even more powerful for champions like Jax, Sion, Camille, etc.
In this patch we’ll be adjusting turret gold rewards in an effort to make split pushing a more satisfying path to power. Inner turrets will have 125 gold shifted from global into local gold, which will raise the individual power level of anyone brave enough to push into enemy territory to take them down.
We're also shifting and raising the value of Inhibitor turrets in order to make them a much more valuable objective overall. Currently it isn’t worth risking taking down an Inhibitor turret while splitting so we'd like to make this fairly dangerous objective more worthwhile.
Statistically, top laners earn the most turret gold of any role in the game in every skill bracket, so a relative increase in local turret value should disproportionately help top laners convert their strength into more power and thus increase their agency over the game as a whole.
Also, did you know turrets have items in their inventory that explain some of their various rules? They've received a small clarity and content pass to be a bit more informative and easier to read.
It is still early to determine how these changes will impact the meta, but we might see teams focusing on taking down turrets much faster than previously.
- Mid Lane Local Gold: 300 ⇒ 425
- Side Lane Local Gold: 550 ⇒ 675
- Global Gold: 250 ⇒ 125
- Total Gold Value: 550/800 (unchanged)
- Local Gold: 50 ⇒ 375
- Global Gold: 250 ⇒ 125
- Total Gold Value: 300 ⇒ 500
- Gold reward tooltips updated to show both local and global turret gold.
- Updated formatting of other turret item tooltips.
Patch 13.23 ARAM Changes
Some small changes for ARAM enjoyers in this patch.
- Kassadin: Damage Taken: 100% ⇒ 95%
- Nilah: Healing Done: 90% ⇒ 100%
- Xayah: Damage Dealt: 100% ⇒ 105%
- K’Sante: Damage Taken: 95% ⇒ 100%
- Rumble: Damage Taken: 95% ⇒ 100%
- Tahm Kench: Damage Taken: 95% ⇒ 100%
- Ashe: W Cooldown: 18/14.5/11/7.5/4 seconds ⇒ 18 seconds at all levels; R Cooldown: 100/80/60 ⇒ 110/90/70; Ability Haste: -30 ⇒ 0
Patch 13.23 Nexus Blitz Changes
Although the popularity of this game mode is falling, some players are still having fun playing it.
Junglers are way too overpowered so Riot Games decided to tone down their clearing speed.
With their new jungle pet buddies, junglers have been outpacing their laning counterparts, making their ganks a little too potent in the early game. We're taking a pass at monster health to slow down their clears a bit, especially those with strong AoE clears.
- Rift Scuttler Health: 3400-11560 ⇒ 3500-11900
- Medium Krugs Health: 900-2115 ⇒ 750-1763
- Sir Gromp Health: 2400-5640 ⇒ 2600-6110
- Red Brambleback Health: 4600-12420 ⇒ 5000-13500
- Blue Sentinel Health: 3500-9450 ⇒ 3750-10125
- Rift Herald Health: 8400-16800 ⇒ 9000-18000
- Corki: Damage Dealt: 100% ⇒ 105%
- Hecarim: Damage Taken: 100% ⇒ 95%
- Riven: Damage Dealt: 100% ⇒ 105%
- Pyke: Damage Dealt: 100% ⇒ 105%
- Camille: Damage Taken: 100% ⇒ 95%
- Singed: Damage Dealt: 100% ⇒ 95%
- Maokai: Damage Dealt: 100% ⇒ 95%
- Sett: Damage Dealt: 100% ⇒ 95%
- Teemo: Damage Dealt: 95% ⇒ 90%
Patch 13.23 Ping Changes
- Any ally scoreboard item, ultimate, or Summoner Spell cooldown ping is sent to the team if the item or ability is in the last 50% of its cooldown.
Ping Changes Known Bugs
- Sending an ally scoreboard item, ultimate, or Summoner Spell cooldown ping in the last 50% of its cooldown will show [Party] in front of the ping even though it is still being broadcast to the whole team.
Patch 13.23 Mythic Shop Rotation
For all of you skin collectors out there.
LEAVING THE MYTHIC SHOP
- Soulstealer Vayne
- Soulstealer Vayne (First Decennial) Chroma + Icon
Patch 13.23 Bugfixes & QoL Changes
Some minor quality-of-life changes to improve the gameplay.
- In an effort to simplify the Career Stats tab in the client, we’ve updated it so that now only the current calendar year and most recent year of data can be viewed. This will be displayed as Season 2022, Split 1 2023, and Split 2 2023.
- Fixed a bug that caused killing an enemy with Lulu’s Pix to give incorrect kill credit.
- Fixed a bug that caused Rell’s W - Ferromancy: Crash Down and R - Magnet Storm combination to sometimes cause R - Magnet Storm to interrupt channeled abilities.
- Fixed a bug that caused K’Sante to become bugged after using certain ability combos during his R - All Out.
- Fixed a bug that caused ward VFX to become permanent if a ward timed out while it was being swept with Oracle Lens.
- Fixed a bug that caused Elise’s E - Rappel/Cocoon to incorrectly use stun duration values when calculating damage amplification.
- Fixed a bug that caused Oracle Lens to sometimes permanently reveal jungle companions.
- Fixed a bug that caused K’Sante’s W - Pathmaker to cancel charging if used at the same time as Hexflash.
Patch 13.23 Upcoming Skins & Chromas